Sunday, May 23, 2010

What's on Your Resume? Typing, Dictation, Wang-Slanging...?

The title of this one comes courtesy of @basseyworld.

We were discussing the ridiculousness known as Trey Songz lyrics, on, of course, Twitter. (Bassey: "'Your body is a problem, they call me the problem solver.' Is this song about sex or math?") I mean, all this guy sings about now since his previous efforts couldn't sell a can of beans is getting it in. Seriously, peep the song titles:

I Invented Sex
Scratchin' Me Up
Neighbors Know My Name


While I'm slightly impressed that he's managed to take individual hallmarks of intercouse (screaming, scratching) and make entire songs out of them, I can't help but wonder if sexing is the only thing Trey finds himself qualified to sing about. Hence Bassey's musing over what he would list as "Skills" on his resume -- "Typing 75wpm, taking dictation, inventing sex..."

Basically, I'm wondering if Trey thinks his penis is the best thing he has to offer the world.

Because I'm seeing a lot of that lately. Guys distilling their value down to how well they can thrust. (Honestly... how hard is to thrust?) I mean, there once was a time where almost every male R&B artist sang about loving, honoring and adoring their women, and even -- perish the thought -- making love to them. Now we have dudes that simply want to "clap clap clap from tha back back back" and "beat your body like the Congo."

Not only does that not make sense, it also sounds a little violent.

(And potentionally offensive to the people of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.)

But this is not limited to Trey. All kinds of guys -- singers, celebs, reg'lah-ass dudes, are jumping on the wang-slanging train. And not just figuratively.





...

No, I will not attempt to comprehend.

And it wouldn't be nearly as disturbing if I didn't experience this in real life. Well, not ^this^ exactly, but as in otherwise seemingly-normal guys resorting to verbal dick-slanging as a last-ditch effort to sell themselves as "a catch." In one case, a male acquaintance used it to try to convince me (for the umpteenth time) to visit him -- after I'd already said no.

"Seriously, Veronica... just one weekend. We'll have a great time."

"I've already given you my answer. You're really gonna have to convince me."

"Well... you'll get some good dick."

....

That was supposed to make me pack my bags.

iCan't. iCannot. I can no longer with dudes using their penis as their prime selling point. Is that all you got? Is that all you have to offer? Of all the qualities boast and brag about (ambition, talent, leadership, possession of an actual moral compass, hell, even money at this point) you choose to sum up your value as a man with your peen? Women needed an entire movement to start seeing themselves as more than sexual vehicles, and now you're willingly submitting yourself to that sort of exploitation? Like, "Fuck it, all I need is my piece (and I don't mean gun... heh)"?  Not to mention there's a whole history of white supremacist efforts to paint black men as sexual beasts who need to be controlled and contained in order to protect society from their "savagery"? It. Does not. Compute. I want you to think more of yourself.

So, even though it's trendy, and the songs sell well on the radio and in the clubs, following the example of Trey (and a few others) and putting your pride on your penis is the quickest way to get yourself NOT taken seriously. Sure, you may come across a girl or two who's intrigued (and a few misguided souls who may actually think that's the measure of a man), but if all you have to offer is your peen, that's all anyone will be interested in.

Revise your resume. Just sayin.

--

9 comments:

  1. "beat your body like the conga" = conga drum. at least i HOPE that's what trey was sayin.

    but anyways, i totally agree. i can't help but roll my eyes and yawn any time a guy starts bragging about how he can "put it down." if all you have to offer is sex, then you haven't differentiated yourself from anyone else out there. even if you do it WELL, and i mean WELL... it's just not enough. and even for those that don't care about snagging a steady boo, if you use your penis as bait, once it's been sampled the mystery is all gone. no re-runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha! Metro lyrics steered me wrong!

    The other side of the "put it down" brag is that it sets impossible expectations. So not only are you offering your penis as the highest thing of value that you possess, but you're also trying to tell us that your penis is the greatest penis in the world. (Which would be hard to qualify as there are approximately 3 billion penises in the world.) So at the end of the day... it's just a bad idea, all around. Just don't do it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lmao. too true. too true =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I Invented Sex" is the reason I've finally decided to break down and buy an iPod. It's the theme song at my gym and I shouldn't have to hear Trey or any other resume-less wang slanger when I'm working out. Funny: it always comes on when I'm doing torso twists. I iPods come in metallic orange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dick Slang makes me embarrassed to be a man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG with that video...


    great writing, my friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, I just found your blog...BEST BLOG that I've found this year. Hands down! Love it!

    I have avoided watching that Dick Slang vid until today, smh damn shame. I would think they were trying to play swords...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post!

    Wow @ that video. If that aint the most pausible ish ever.

    "Yo man what popping?"

    "Nothing. Whats good?"

    "Aw shit. You should fall through. Me, Larry, Steve and Ben finna get half naked and do this dick slang dance together and post it on youtube. You know all the hoes gon be jockin us then."

    #FAIL

    ReplyDelete
  9. This write up is awesome .. as i have been pissed for a looooooooooong time lol about this dick sliging thing ... I mean ... jeeez! you said it all right ... Kudos ...

    ReplyDelete