Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Six Completely Valid Reasons Why Justin Beiber Should Have a BET Nomination

I know, I know. The Beibs got nominated for a BET Award. Best New Artist to be exact. Depending on where you stand on the issue, you either collapsed into a fit of giggles or into a fit of seizures when you heard the news. But when you think about it, Justin Beiber getting a nod from BET really isn't all that crazy. Seriously, it's not. Here's why:


1) It's an end to racial profiling. Historically, BET has only offered stereotypical depictions of people of Caucasia -- they're either tattoed Dr. Dre proteges or Michael Jackson impersonators. And only the rappers are given any real shine on the network. Ergo, white artists have been extremely frustrated by the limited roles they can play on BET -- especially since the '90s, when Color Me Badd met BET's "white folk" quota for the entire decade. Justin Beiber is finally breaking down barriers. He's like Harry Belafonte, but in reverse.

2) Black kids like him. Since the schools are all new-fangled and integrated now, there's going to be a fair amount of cultural exchange. It may have been unthinkable in the last millennium, but nowadays, blonde girls do the dutty whine, mini-ballerinas do Single Ladies and brown girls (including my 15-year-old sister) scream when Justin Beiber hits the White House stage with his multiculti dance crew.

3) Speaking of which... President Obama likes him. Self-explanatory.

4.) Also... We get to have a black president in the first place. Collateral damage.

5) And on the flip side... Justin Beiber likes black girls. He's been trying to get at Rihanna since forever, and the love interest in his latest video is a cute little brown girl who actually just might be Latina. Suffice it to say, Justin Beiber has offered the most positive, wholesome, and affirming depiction of a black woman in a music video since "You Are My Lady." For that, I'd nominate him for the BET award, an NAACP Image Award and the Nobel Prize. Besides... liking black girls is the only reason why Alan Thicke's kid is getting any airplay.

>

And if you're still not convinced, I can only offer this:

6) It's not like they nominated Lady Antebellum.

Let the Beibs have his nomination. It's not like we pay attention to BET anyway.

---

2 comments:

  1. If I were 12, I would be allll over Justin. I also appreciate this fondness of the brown girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Veronica! I had never seen this video or heard this song (as I try to avoid the radio and a vast majority of music videos nowadays), but as soon as I saw this, I realized, that's the little girl from "Beauty Shop!" And I must agree with ktc, if I was ten years younger, I'd be all over that boy.

    ReplyDelete